Volusia County (386) 960-7801
Orange County (407) 930-6060

We're On Your Side

Please contact The United Law Firm for a free initial consultation. Experienced representation is just a phone call away.

Free Consultation

What happens when the income of one family has to be divided into two families? There may not be any more income coming in, but now, the singular income has to be enough for two lives.  What happens if one spouse does not have any money to make ends meet while the divorce case is pending?  Do you have to pay alimony, or if you are on the other side, can you get alimony while the case is pending?

Alimony- Spousal Support 

Florida Statutes 61.08 Alimony
(1) In a proceeding for dissolution of marriage, the court may grant alimony to either party, which alimony may be bridge-the-gap, rehabilitative, durational, or permanent in nature or any combination of these forms of alimony. In any award of alimony, the court may order periodic payments or payments in lump sum or both. 
Below are the kinds of alimony that the Husband or the Wife may request:

  • Bridge-the-gap alimony: Permits the receiving spouse to focus on becoming financially independent and is considered a special type of support awarded for a specified duration of time.
  • Rehabilitative:  Payments given in order to aid in the other spouse to become self-supportive.
  • Durational alimony: Alimony awarded in moderate-term marriages for a modifiable period of time.
  • Permanent alimony: Alimony awarded in long-term marriages or marriages that have lasted 19 or more years.
  • Temporary alimony: Temporary alimony to be paid until a more permanent agreement can be made.  (typically while the case is on-going)
  • Lump sum alimony: One-time payment rather than on-going monthly payments made for an undetermined amount of time.

The United Law Firm LLC

 Family Law firm